Friday, December 19, 2008

I drank the Facebook Kool-Aid.

Took my first sip back in April when I signed up. I though, eh, yet ANOTHER social networking site that takes time away from LIVE interaction with friends, co-workers and family. My employer even developed an application to reach subscribers in their Facebook inboxes...still wasn't paying attention.

About three weeks ago, decided to dive in. OMFG. If it hasn't already, it's rendering Friendster, MySpace, Flickr and Twitter obsolete...it combines the best features of all four and then some. I've reconnected with kids from GRAMMAR school. Everyone in creation is on this site. Schoolmates. Exes. Celebrities. It cuts through and across community and geographic strata with frightening alacrity.

It's all about the Friends' list. Who's on it? How many you got? 50? That's nothing. NYC party promoter SUZANNE BARTSCH has 1406! Oooh, someone sent me a Friend request! I am wanted! I am validated! I am loved!

Facebook gives you a million reasons to log in and STAY logged in. Search for Friends. Join groups. Post videos from YouTube. Add photo albums. Become a fan of authors, movie stars, a beloved cause (or start your own). Comment on your Friends' postings. See who THEIR Friends are. INSANELY addictive. IM Friends online. Email (only those in the FB family...and with no "attachment" option).

Gotta get back to Facebookland, experiencing withdrawal symptoms. Rumor has it that this currently-free service will start charging for use next year...I don't believe it. They're already monetizing their content nicely with paid behaviorally-targeted ads.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UNIQLO

No comments:

Post a Comment